Motor Carrier Services Section


As provided by law, the Motor Carrier Services Section is responsible for the supervision and financial regulation of air and motor carriers. The responsibility includes the following areas:


Intrastate Authority – For-hire passenger or property carrier conducting activities between points and over a route wholly within this State. This authority does not include carriers that haul their own property or passengers.


Insurance – Requires all intrastate motor carriers and air carriers of passengers or property to file and maintain proof of liability insurance. All intrastate motor carriers of property must also maintain proof of cargo insurance. Brokers must file a surety bond.


Annual and Quarterly Reports –  Household goods carriers and non-charter motor carriers of passengers are required to file an annual report on or before April 30 of each year. Annual reports help verify that an intrastate motor carrier is still in business and that no changes have been made to the name or contact information and includes a financial statement. For non-profit carriers are required to file a quarterly report 30 days after the end of each quarter listing the names and addresses of the nonprofit organization with the date(s) of each trip and the rate and charge for each.


Rates and Services – Requires motor carriers of property with household goods authority, and non-charter motor carriers of passengers to file their rates and services with the Commission.


Unified Carrier Registration(UCR) – INTERSTATE – The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their business with a base state and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet. Companies operating solely as brokers, freight forwarders and leasing companies are also required to register and pay a flat fee.