Toll-Free Complaints Consumer Hotline

If you have a utility complaint, attempt first to resolve it by direct contact with the utility or carrier. If you achieve no results from direct contact, then call the Alabama Public Service Commission by dialing


Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

or file your complaint online

Please note that the Alabama Public Service Commission does not regulate electric cooperatives, most water companies, municipal utilities, wireless services, cable TV systems, or the Tennessee Valley Authority. Therefore, it does not have power to resolve complaints concerning them.